Oracle is rather slow when it comes to releasing Oracle Client software for new Microsoft Operating Systems. So, I did not expect that Oracle Client for Windows 7 will be ready (and it is not) in time when Windows 7 RTM is released.
However, if you are brave enough to install Windows 7 RTM in development environment (I am), and your work is tied to Oracle, than try this approach (worked for me):
- Download and unpack Oracle Database 10g Client Release 2 (10203_vista_w2k8_x86_production_client.zip)
- Start elevated CMD prompt (CMD prompt with Administrator privileges) and navigate to folder where you unpacked files
- Start installation of the client with
- Download from MetaLink Oracle Database 10g Release 2 Patch Set 3 and unpack.
- Repeat (2) – (4) for this PatchSet
For points (3) – (5) you have to have MetaLink account – I was unable to locate 10.2.0.4 Patch Set anywhere else. This is drawback, and you can try using 10.2.0.3 if you do not have MetaLink account.
Of course, this is just workaround until Oracle releases proper Windows 7 client.